It’s very hard to tell someone that your child or spouse is hurting or neglecting you. It may be nearly impossible for you to believe.
But if that is what’s happening, you’re not alone. You see, nearly two million Americans age 65 and older have been injured, exploited, or mistreated by someone they love or depend on for care and protection.
If you feel isolated in your home or often fearful about what might happen to you, please call our free helpline at 1.800.863.9909. We care about you and your situation, and we want to help.
Here are some questions to consider:
- Do you feel threatened?
- Do family members or caretakers pressure you into doing—or giving them—what they want by making you feel guilty or through physical force?
- Are your basic needs taken care of? Are you helped with meals and hygiene regularly and on time?
- Are you denied medical care? Do family members or caretakers refuse to take you to doctor’s appointments? Do you have the medicines you need, or are your caretakers using or selling your medications?
- Does anyone consistently ridicule you, what you think, or what you say?
- Do you often feel degraded, put down, or humiliated by a family member or caregiver?
- Are you kept from seeing friends or other family members? Do you often wish someone besides your caregiver would visit you?
- Do you have reason to believe money or possessions are being stolen from you, or that your bank accounts have been taken out of your control?
If you answered yes to even one of these questions, it might help to talk to someone about what’s going on. We know that separation and/or divorce may not be what you want, or even be possible. Contact us or call our confidential helpline at 1.800.863.9909. We know it’s hard to say that someone you love is hurting you. But please do.
You deserve to live without fear. You deserve peace in your home and in your life. Let us help.
Take a look at our Power and Control Wheel. If it describes your situation, call for help.