This blog post is by Bree Belair, 4th year Psychology and Womens Gender and Sexuality Studies student at UMaine and Community Response Team Intern at Partners for Peace.
We can each play a role in the movement to end domestic violence. Here are some ways that you can take action.
Volunteer with Us
The work we do would not be possible without the help of our amazing volunteers! We have multiple opportunities for how you can work with us and take action against domestic violence.
- Helpline Worker – As a helpline worker, you are the first contact survivors have with our organization. Helpline workers offer support, information about domestic violence, safety planning, and other services.
- Kid Worker – Kid worker’s help with activities for children whose mothers use our services. We have several groups that meet throughout the week.
- Steering Committee Member – The Steering Committee acts as our organizational board and makes agency-wide decisions along with our staff.
- Now-and-Then Volunteer – Throughout the year we hold special events or projects we need help with. This can include organizing donations, cleaning, distributing material, and more.
- Office Volunteer – Office volunteers help with office work on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, and can include tasks such as answering phones and doors.
To learn more about these volunteer opportunities, visit our website.
If your interested in volunteering, click here to sign up!
Donations make a world of a difference by supporting our services – our hotline, advocacy work, groups, shelter & transitional housing, prevention & training, youth activities, and community awareness activities. Gifts also demonstrate your commitment to take action against domestic violence.
To make a secure monetary donation click here.
We also gladly accept items such as:
- Gift cards (gas, groceries, Walmart)
- Phone cards
- New bedding (twin, full, and queen)
- Household goods (paper towels, tissues, detergent)
- Full size personal care items (shampoo, conditioner, body wash)
- Appliances in good condition
If you have any questions, or are interested in donating goods or services, call 207.945.5102 or contact us.
Attending our events is a great way to take action against domestic violence, especially during Domestic Violence Awareness Month every October.
To stay up to date with upcoming events check out our Facebook page!
Schedule a Presentation or Training
Domestic violence impacts all parts of society including work places, healthcare, child care, schools, neighborhoods, families, and more. We can all help, and attending one of our presentations or trainings is a great way to take action.
We offer a wide variety of customized trainings. Some topics covered include:
- What does domestic abuse look like? How can I recognize when domestic abuse is happening?
- How to approach someone you’re worried about, maintaining confidentiality, providing appropriate resources, and allowing the person you can about to make decision.
- How can your business, organization, or professional practice can connect with other community-based efforts to make change and prevent domestic abuse and violence.
To learn more or schedule a training, visit our website or call us at 207.945.5102
Speak out on Social Media
Social media is a great way to spread awareness and information to all kinds of people. Share with others how you take action in the movement to end domestic violence by posting it on your own social media!